Monday, February 2, 2009

London calling...

My roommates, two friends, and I went to London this past weekend. Let me tell you, I never knew I could love a city so much! For one, it was really relieving being in an English-speaking country temporarily. The people are SO nice and helpful. When we got off the airplane, a lady rushed past us. Apparently she saw that we were trying to figure out where to go, and she stopped, offered us some advice and pointed us in the right direction. It was so crazy to think that she was obviously in a rush to get somewhere, but still stopped to help us. How great.

So the first night, we got there late and since it was Thursday, there wasn't really a lot to do. We went to the 24 hour deli next to our hostel and got sandwiches. 
Mary is the friend I met on the bus on the first day. She's turned out to be a great friend.


The Tube is so easy to take. We didn't get lost or go the wrong way at all.


The first day, we walked through Green Park to go to Buckingham Palace.


Does the queen actually live there?


I didn't even get to see the changing of the guards. I couldn't see a single thing, and the only reason I got this picture is from lifting the camera far above my head to catch it. Who knows what actually happens during this event?

We took a bus tour for about a half-hour, but we ended up stopping at the free art museum. We saw all kinds of paintings from the 1400s to present-day. Outside the museum, an artist had drawn on the sidewalk in chalk.


Of course I had to get a picture with this art. I mean, really. It's a masterpiece.


I took a ton of pics like this because I wanted to get me with London, but felt bad asking my friends to keep taking pics.


Big Ben was the most beautiful building in the city. No joke, I was in love.


The London view from the London Eye. It was a thirty minute tour-ride where you could see all of London...basically a really slow, enclosed ferris wheel.


Like I said, Big Ben was the most beautiful building. This reminds me of Peter Pan.

Friday night, we went to a musical called Blood Brothers. I had never heard of it, but read the reviews. It was amazing, and the story line was really intriguing and entertaining. It was a serious musical...maybe the most serious one I've ever seen, other than West Side Story. But I was really happy with it! Afterall, London Broadway is a must.

On Saturday, Mary went to hang out with a friend that was studying abroad in London. The rest of us walked on Oxford street and shopped a little. We stopped at Hamleys, a five floor toy store. I was basically in heaven.


I'm 5.

We ate at the Hard Rock cafe for lunch. It was so good, and such a relief to eat legitimate American food for once.


The London Hard Rock Cafe is the original one, and our waitress was one of the first workers ever!

So. The absolute highlight of my weekend, being the nerd that I am, was going to King's Cross station. Those of you who are bookworms like myself know that this is where the Hogwarts Express is...At Platform 9 3/4, I tried my hardest to get to the train.


Unfortunately, I didn't make it.


So we just took a silly picture instead.


The best part. Honestly, I wanted to go to London JUST for this. I mean, who wouldn't want to visit the spot where the idea for Harry Potter was born?! 


After that, we went to Camden Market. It was basically a huge area full of knock-offs and cheap souvenirs. I loved every bit of it. I got a scarf and a fake Puma bag. I also got an I <3>

We ate these amazing Belgian waffles with Nutella...mine had caramel too...Holy crap, I've never eaten anything more amazing in my life. No joke. (Notice how all of my entries ALWAYS seem to revolve around food? I'm fat.)

After a great, much-needed two hour nap, we headed to the bar downstairs in the hostel. It was full of young people like us that were traveling through Europe. It was fun to get to know people, and of course get free drinks. Around midnight, we headed to the Absolut Ice Bar. It was FREEZING, but so much fun!


Shanna and I got there first. They gave us parkas and mittens!


And a fun drink was given to us upon entering...in an ice glass!


Shanna told me to pretend like I was licking the pillar...of course, me being the crazy girl that I am, actually licked it. Booyah.


All of us, minus Mary, in the ice chair!


The toilet paper in London was just tissues...from a tissue holder. I thought it was amazing.


Roomies outside the Ice Bar! With roses that we found.

After the Ice Bar, we went to another bar called Digress.

It was expensive to get in, but after a few drinks, none of us cared! :) I met a guy named Matthew and he was so cute and nice.


How cute is he? Honestly. I was really excited about that.

So, we came back Sunday afternoon. Mary, Mackenzie, and I all had the same flight, so we got to the airport and ate lunch before our flight. The flight was delayed about an hour. I took full advantage of being in an English speaking country, so I bought two books.

All in all, I truly loved the city. I wished it was warmer because I can never fully appreciate things if I am cold and miserable. I am hoping to extend my layover at the end of my trip and stay in London for a few extra days. Maybe my dad can come meet me for an adventure before I start school again, May 11. As much as I love Barcelona, I really did LOVE London. It is a lot more Americanized...The first thing I saw when we got there were McDonalds and Burger King. AWESOME. Haha. But it was just a really beautiful and fun city. Three days is not enough time in such a great city.

Our next trip we have planned is Paris in a few weeks, but I am hoping to meet Taso in Italy at the end of February. We will see how that works out. For now, it's back in the old routine. I got a really bad cold while I was gone, and now I am struggling to stay awake and alive. I am exhausted, but can't sleep because of my stuffed nose and cough...It's miserable. I had to force myself to be productive today, otherwise I would have skipped class and stayed in bed the entire day. Since my roommate moved out last week (Single room, YEAHH!), I am now using her bed as a dryer for my clothes. I cleaned my room completely, even vacuuming and dusting. I know, very out of character. I also made a very important purchase today: Nutella, my new love.

1 comment:

Krista said...

I've gotta admit, I've wondered about the real King's Cross station, and Platform 9 3/4. I wondered if they'd actually done anything to "memorialize" the series at the station. Your pictures prove it - very cool!